Advice to be safeguarding ready this summer
Be activities wise this summer – advice for activity leaders
As the safety of children is everyone’s business, the voluntary sector, Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Safeguarding Children Board have put together some advice for anyone working or volunteering with children and young people so that they are:
- are able to recognise child abuse and be alert to potential indicators of abuse or abusers
- have greater confidence in their ability to communicate appropriately with a child or young person
- share information with others to help inform a good understanding or assessment of a child’s or young person’s circumstances
- know how to work working together and communicate well with parents or carers.
There is lots of information and training available on safeguarding children that would help support you in your role as an activity leader.
Things to consider:
- We can offer e-learning and face to face safeguarding
children training from basic awareness about recognising and responding
to child abuse and neglect, through to specialist subject areas. This will give you a good understanding of national guidance and local arrangements for safeguarding children and promoting their welfare whilst they are in your care. Contact us on 01785 854579 Staffordshire or 01782 231615 Stoke-on-Trent or visit the Learning Zone.
- You may need a current Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate (formerly CRB) If you work with children, your employer or licenser may need to apply for a DBS check for you. You cannot apply for one yourself. If you’re not sure whether a check is needed you can contact DBS customer services
at email@example.com or by telephoning 03000 200 190
- The NSPCC also runs many online courses
- For more information, contact us on Staffordshire 01785 854579 firstname.lastname@example.org or Stoke-on-Trent 01782 231615 email@example.com
Worried about a child?
If you need support and advice or have any concerns, please contact Staffordshire County Council’s First Response Service on 0800 13 13 126 or Stoke-on-Trent Safeguarding Referral Team on 01782 235100
Lines are open:
- Monday-Thursday – 8:30am-5:00pm
- Friday – 8:30am-4:30pm
If you think a child or young person is at immediate risk please don’t delay – dial 999 to contact the police.
Downloadable contact card (152 KB)