Children & Young People

If you've got worries or need some advice we can help

If something is worrying you or making you scared and you are not sure it's abuse, it's important to talk to someone you trust.

You can be hurt by an adult or another young person in many ways.  Abuse can be any of the following:

  • physical abuse - this can mean hitting or someone being physically bullied;

  • emotional abuse - being made to feel worthless or low by someone saying things to you that make you feel bad about yourself or confused, scared or worried;

  • sexual abuse - a person or people kissing you or touching your body or making you do something that you do not want to do. This also includes making you look at naked images of adults, children or other young people; or

  • neglect - this can mean not being cared for properly; being left alone for long periods of time, not caring where you are, not being fed or having clean clothes.

The numbers to call if you are worried about a child or young person and think they may be the victim of neglect or abuse:

If you think a child or young person is in immediate danger telephone 999

If a child or young person is at risk of significant harm call:

First Response on 0800 1313 126 / E-mail:

They are open Monday - Thursday 8:30am - 5:00pm and Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm

Outside of these hours please call the Emergency Duty Service (EDS Out of Hours Service on 0345 604 2886

Or you can call a national helpline number (free of charge):-

NSPCC Helpline - 0808 800 5000

Child line – 0800 1111

Chat Health - Text your school nurse on 07520 615721 for confidential advice and support

Do you think you may be in an abusive relationship?

Abusive relationships don’t just happen to adults. Young people can experience abusive behaviour from their boyfriend or girlfriend, in mixed sex or same sex relationships.

Abusive behaviour can be:

  • physical (hitting, kicking, slapping)

  • emotional (humiliating you or putting you down)

  • sexual (forcing you to do sexual acts you don’t want to do)

Abusive relationships can start with verbal or emotional abuse and could happen to anyone. It can often escalate into physical abuse, by which time your self-esteem is likely to be damaged.

Resources and Useful Websites:

Grange Park Sexual Assault Referral Centre - Grange Park is a centre providing services to men, women and children living in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent , who have been raped or sexually assaulted.

At Grange Park you can access a range of services that are free and confidential.

For more information on Grange Park and the services offered, please visit:                                                           Contact Grange Park by calling 0300 7900 166 by emailing 

Broken Rainbow provides support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people experiencing domestic abuse. It also runs a helpline for anyone experiencing homophobic, transphobic or abuse within a same sex relationship. Please call 0800 999 5428

The Men’s Advice Line has been set up for male victims in both mixed and same sex abusive relationships. Please call 0808 801 0327

Thinkuknow offers advice to young people on sex, relationships and the internet. It also provides up-to-date information to help young people develop the skills they need to make sure they stay safe and are happy in the decisions they are making. 

Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE)

Child sexual exploitation is when someone grooms and controls a child for a sexual purpose.

It can happen to boys and girls, it can happen in rural and urban areas, it can happen face to face and it can happen online. It is a form of child abuse and should be treated as a child protection issue.

How do I know if I'm being groomed?

Voice box, Childline’s weekly video chat, features Lucy Fallon who plays Bethany Platt in Coronation Street and Helen, a Childline counsellor, talking about grooming. They give advice on how to spot the signs of grooming and how young people can get support if they are worried that they or a friend are being groomed.          

Source: YouTube Date: 07 June 2017   

Further information: Childline

The NSPCC have a series of short animated films dealing with child sexual exploitation - click on the links

Are you finding it hard to deal with your emotions?

If you're struggling to cope or even understand why you feel the way you do, then talk to someone you can trust. It may seem hard at first but dealing with problems on your own can sometimes make things worse. There are lots of people who can help such as teachers, GP's, school nurses, voluntary workers as well as specially trained people who work in children's mental health. If you want to talk to someone, then why not visit the Children and Mental Health Service or CAMHS website. 

Please use the link below tofind out whats available in your area.

National organisations such as can provide advice and support too.


Stay Safe, need to talk?